Tsaritsyno History Day is referred to the beginning of the estate’s life under the new owner, the Empress Catherine the Great. In 1775 The Empress visited the estate and was so taken with it that she decided to buy it. She renamed the estate Tsaritsyno, meaning belonging to the Tsaritsa, or the Empress in Russian. Then she invited the most promising and talented architect Vasily Bazhenov to develop this place in the gothic style. The festival celebrates the Empress’ decision by organizing all kinds of activities Catherine wanted to be seen here – theater plays, art performances, concerts, dances and lazy picnics on the meadow in front of the Grand Palace.